Do you build, craft, invent, hack, create, teach, make? Applications to participate in the 6th annual Vancouver Mini Maker Faire are now open! The 2016 VMMF will bring together more than 150 artists, inventors, tech-heads, and Makers of all kinds for an exciting weekend of sharing knowledge, inspiring each other, exhibiting projects, and building community.
Event Dates: June 11 & 12, 2016
Location: PNE Forum, Hastings Park, Vancouver
Application Deadline: The deadline to apply has passed, but never fear! We welcome wait list applications. Please don’t delay -the sooner you apply, the better your chance of being accepted to the show.
How to Apply
The deadline to submit your application has passed. But all is not lost! Please complete an application and we’ll add you to our wait list. You’ll be notified via email in a few weeks whether or not there is room for you.
If you already know which category you’d like to submit an application for, please go ahead and use the blue links below to get your application started. If you’re unsure which category best suits your project, please scroll further down the page for detailed descriptions.
A weekend long demo of your project(s). Maker categories include Individuals, Groups, Non-Profits and Commercial Makers – more details below.
A scheduled performance, usually on a stage. Set lengths vary.
A scheduled 10, 20 or 45 minute presentation or demonstration, usually on a stage.
Design and lead one or more short (30-120 min) workshops.
If you have any questions about which Maker category you should apply under, please email email@example.com.
To apply, use the blue application link above which best fits your proposal: Maker Exhibit, Performance, Presentation, or Workshop Leader.
Entries can be submitted from individuals, small teams, or larger groups such as hobby clubs, community organizations, schools, and businesses. We particularly love exhibits that are interactive and that highlight the process of making things.
Here are just some of the topics that we’re looking for:
- Student projects
- Homegrown drones
- Arduino projects
- Raspberry Pi
- Space projects
- Food makers (not concessionaires, more info below)
- Conductive materials projects
- Kit makers
- Interactive art projects
- 3D Printers and CNC Mills
- Textile projects
- Art cars
- Home energy monitoring
- Rockets and RC Toys
- Sustainability and green tech
- Vintage or modified radios, computers, and video game systems
- Electric vehicles
- Science, biology/biotech, and chemistry projects
- Puppets, kites, and other whimsical creations
- Bike-based projects
- Large-scale art
- Music performances and participation
- Unusual tools or machines
- How to Fix Things or Take Them Apart (vacuums, clocks, washing machines, etc.)
Maker Exhibit: Individuals, groups, non-profits, schools, and other organizations that would like to demonstrate what they make and how it works in an all-weekend exhibit space; interactive exhibits are encouraged.
Maker booth fees include one 10’x10′ space, one 8′ long table, two chairs, and one 3-prong outlet; you will have the opportunity to rent additional space and equipment before the show.
NB: You will not be required to make any payments with your application.
Maker exhibits include these sub-types:
- Young Makers (booth fee: $20 + GST): You are a maker aged 18 or younger. You are the next wave of awesome!
- Individual Maker (booth fee: $30 +GST): You’re coming to VMMF to show others what you do and how it works. Your exhibit can be something that you designed and built, alone or with friends/collaborators. It could also be a work in progress, a skill or activity you’d like to share, or a demonstration of how an object or system works. Individual Makers may not sell anything at the fair.
- Maker Group or Non-Profit (booth fee: $60 + GST): Your organization, non-profit, or community group makes things or supports/facilitates making, which can include teaching or sharing skills, providing tools or space, raising the profile of or advocating for Maker communities, building community, publishing learning materials, or other activities. Please appoint one person to coordinate your VMMF application/exhibit.
- Start-up Maker/Microbusiness (booth fee: $100 + GST): You’ve designed/invented/built or otherwise created something amazing, and you think it’s marketable. Congratulations! Start-ups (businesses less than one year old) and microbusinesses are welcome to apply in this category. Start-up and Microbusiness Makers are welcome to sell items at the fair (DIY kits related to Maker projects are often big sellers. Just sayin’.).
- Commercial Maker (booth fee: $200 + GST): You run an established business making and selling products, and you would like to sell items at VMMF. To qualify as a Commercial Maker, your products must be assembled locally (relative to you), by your company, or by your customers. We encourage you to have a demonstration or hands-on component to your booth.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Performance: Musicians, performance artists, and entertainers who would like to perform at VMMF. Performances are usually in an outdoor tent and scheduled for approximately 45 minutes, though set lengths vary; we also really love roaming and unscheduled performers. Please mention scheduling details in your application.
Presentation: Individuals and groups who would like to talk about an idea or project of interest to the Maker community, or Makers who are interested in demonstrating what they make and how it works, but who aren’t ready to commit to a two-day stint at a booth. Presentations are typically 20 or 45 minutes, with some time for Q&A.
Workshop Leader: Want to share your hard-earned knowledge, but don’t want to commit to running a booth all weekend? You can design and lead one or more short (30-120 min) workshops at the designated workshop area.
APPLICATION Form Photo Information
When applying, you are required to provide a project photo, and a bio photo if you applying to make a presentation. These photos will be used on our website to promote your project.
Your photos should not have any text in them, and should be a single image, please, not a collage. Your photos should be at least 500px x 500 px, and PNG, JPG, JPEG or GIF format.
Other ways to Participate
Volunteer: Want to help us make Vancouver Mini Maker Faire an amazing event for everyone? Check out our Volunteer Information page! We’d love to have you.
Mobile Food Vendors: If you would like to sell non-packaged, ready-to-eat food to attendees, please fill out a Mobile Food Vendor Application. If you are a baker/chocolate maker/other non-concessionary food maker, please apply through the Maker application form.
Sponsors: Is your organization interested in supporting us as a Vancouver Mini Maker Faire Sponsor? We’ve got a ton of different sponsorship options available! Check out our sponsorship package for more information or email our Sponsorship Coordinator to discuss the possibilities.
What Happens Next?
Following your submission, you will receive an email confirming that we have your application. If you don’t receive your confirmation email within a few minutes, contact email@example.com. This confirmation does not constitute acceptance to Vancouver Mini Maker Faire.
You’ll be notified via email about your acceptance to the show. Once accepted, you will be asked to provide us with more detailed information about your exhibit and submit your payment (if applicable). Once we receive your registration form and payment you will receive links to your 2016 Maker Information Package and other information. Once accepted, begin to plan for your participation. We will send regular Maker Newsletter updates containing, among other things, hints of how to make your booth awesome.