Volunteer registration for the 2017 Vancouver Mini Maker Faire is currently OPEN! Please read the info below, and then register here.
Vancouver Mini Maker Faire Wants You!
The Vancouver Mini Maker Faire relies on the skills, dedication, and enthusiasm of its volunteers to ensure a fun time is had by everyone. We welcome volunteers aged 13 and older, and encourage families to volunteer together.
We ask you to commit at least 4 hours to making this a successful Faire. Volunteers will be scheduled for 4-hour shifts and we request that you be available for at least one 4-hour block. All first-time on-site volunteers will be required to attend an evening orientation meeting in early May.
- Set Up Crew – We always need plenty of hands for set up on the Friday before the show! You could be setting up tables, putting up signs, working on stage set up, assisting Makers with their load-in, or keeping the coffee pots full.
- Maker & Volunteer Check-In – You’ll be on the front line, assisting Makers & Volunteers when they first arrive. On Friday you’ll assist Makers with check in, give them welcome packages, and direct them to their booths. On Saturday and Sunday, you’ll welcome your fellow volunteers and direct them to their Team Leaders, as well as providing information for the general public.
- Information Booth – Answer questions from the public regarding the Faire, the exhibits and their locations. Conduct exit surveys. May involve acting as a wandering info point throughout the venue. Must be very comfortable talking to strangers!
- Front Gate & Ticketing – You’ll be making that first impression with our guests, greeting them at the line up, selling tickets, confirming advance sales, and often acting as the first point of information. Smiles, patience, and a sense of humour required!
- Happiness Crews – Happiness crews make sure the Volunteers, Makers, and Performers are well taken care of: bringing food and drink to remote Volunteers, being on hand to assist Makers, ensuring Performers know where to be at the right time and that they have what they need. People on the Maker Happiness Crew should be comfortable dealing with the public as you may need to cover an exhibit if the Maker needs a short break.
- Stage Crew – This year the Speakers’ Stage and Performance Stage are back, as well as our new Workshop Zone, and we’ll need techs and stage managers to keep things running smoothly. Preference will be given to people who have experience with stage tech and equipment, so please give those details on your application.
- Hands-On Activities – In past years volunteers helped run activities such as the larger-than-life-sized Angry Birds and the Paper Hat workshop. This year we’ll have more fun activities that will require volunteer assistance. You should definitely like working with kids of all ages, and you MUST like to have fun!
- Documentation – Do you have mad skills when it comes to photography & videography, especially at events? The documentation team is an important part of building the legacy of the Vancouver Mini Maker Faire.
- Crowd Control & Safety – Staff the Exit and Re-Entry Gates. Help monitor pedestrian flow and give directions. Keep an eye out for unsafe behaviour. Assist with traffic flow on set-up day and during load out on Sunday. Must be comfortable interacting with the public.
- Tear Down Crew – After the fun is over, there’s still work to be done! Assist Makers with load out, take down tables, stage equipment, wind cable, clean up. Will the last person to leave the Forum please turn out the lights?
If you volunteer 4 hours you get:
- a weekend pass for yourself to Maker Faire
- a super spiffy t-shirt
- an invite to the Volunteer & Maker Appreciation Party
- a plentitude of snacks and beverages on the day you help out at the Faire
If you volunteer 8 hours you get:
- all of the above
- an extra weekend pass to give to a friend or family member
- a reference letter (available upon request)
If you volunteer more than 8 hours you get:
- all the perks of an 8-hour volunteer
- special perks and gifts
If you have any questions or concerns, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’re excited to have you join us! Please fill out a volunteer registration form here, and we’ll be in touch soon.
***IMPORTANT TO NOTE***
If you are volunteering for a specific exhibit, DO NOT sign up here. Please contact the Maker directly to join their crew list and help with their exhibit.